Saturday, May 19, 2012

Research that Benefits Children and Families—Uplifting Stories


I was reading an article which talked about the positive outcome of children who come from a married family of the same biological parents. I find this this be very true because I came from a dysfunctional married family because I had a stepfather. I hated that my mom was married to him but I was intrigued by the idea of marriage. My brother and I turned out pretty descent, but I know kids who came from a married family with the same biological parents who seemed to excel faster. Now this may just be all in my head, but I know they had more material stuff and in some cases a slightly higher average than kids who were from a single parent home or a home similar to my own.

I don't know my real father, the last time I can remember seeing him is around the age of 4 or 5. This cause a major void in my life, but also drives me to be an integral part of my children's life. Those issues in which I dealt with growing up have impacted my life so much that I am striving to be the best for my family as well as be there for them ad give them the best.

4 comments:

  1. Terrance,
    Interesting, but I must say I don't agree with the article. I think it may be true in some cases, but definitely not all. I am a single parent and I have a daughter graduating this year, a year earlier than she's suppose to, because of her higher achievements.(her father has never been a part of her life) There are many dysfynctional families, even those with two biological parents, and often times the reports focus on the ideal situations and overlook some of the actual success stories from other types of families. As parents, we have to expect the best from our children and set them up for success at times and through all situations.
    Good luck with your family and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Riley,

    Interesting thoughts. I was raised by my parents who have been married for 41 years. I can not say that things where better for us than my friend who was raised by only her mother. I thnik that my sister, brothers, and myself have done well with our parents guidance but so have my friend who was raised in a single home. Good food for thoughts, Thanks for the post.

    Erica Hines

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post, but I would have to agree with Erica and Wanda. I was also raised by my parents who have been married for 43 years and I am now a single mom raising my son on my own. My son is reading and writing at a kindergarten level and he is in preschool. I have worked hard to be able to provide for him and set him up to be successful regardless. I would love to read the article and the findings of the research study if you happen to have the info. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, its very interesting and complicated topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terrance,
    I really enjoyed reading your post, As a child, I grew up a single family home with no father figure, but now that I have three children of my own I try not think about how I was raised and just focus on how to be the best parent possible to them.
    Sometimes the road that we came from only gives a highway to a better place. My past only made me stronger for my family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete