Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Connections To Play

Play is our brain's favorite way of learning.

Diane Ackerman
Contemporary American author

Culture arises and unfolds in and as play.

Johan Huizinga
Dutch historian
1872–1945




These building blocks were very influential in my childhood. I loved to play with them and I learned from them. My kindergarten teacher Mrs. Andersen loved to watch me play with them. She worked with me every day using these blocks to teach me different learning strategies.

Today I use those same skills with my children in the classroom. They abosutely love to use the blocks. It has taught them to share as well. We had a very hard time to get them to share in the beginning. I remember back when I was younger we were taught to share coming from home, but now a days some children aren't being raised that way. Children tend to fight over things rather than share. So we have the task of breaking the stingy habit.

Overall I view play as a very useful tool in life as well as education. I learned a lot through play, it taught me how to think, share, and be independent in learning. I hope that I am being as effective of a teacher as Mrs. Anderson taught me.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Terrance,
    I think that we all enjoyed playing with blocks. Blocks gives children the opportunity to do what ever they want to. You can build stores, towers and much more.

    Having multiple of each toys is essential in the childhood setting. Children want what the other child has when it looks like something. When all of the block are lying all over the floor it does not seem as interesting. It not until you almost have your design up and looking good when a friend comes over and knocks it down. I have seen tis far too many times.
    Blocks allow us to use our very own creativity. I love the different legos and the different colors , shapes and sizes that they come in. I've seen children build all types of things with them.

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terrance,

    I enjoyed reading your post this week. I also liked your quote from Diane Ackerman. Once you think about it, our brain probably does enjoy learning through play. Blocks do teach us numerous things that we can relate to education. I use to enjoy building houses,castles, and shapes out of blocks. Play is a very useful tool in our lives and we should use it to instill strategies and techniques into our upcoming generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great images used in your post- I like the insights you were offering in the blog post.
    I think continued i nights about play form varied perspectives are vital to best guide children

    ReplyDelete