Saturday, November 5, 2011

Child Births

Kamrin’s birth
It was October 14th, 2009.  We were at the Northwest Regional Medical Center in Clarksdale, MS.  This was also the birth place of my daughter and me.  It was around 12:00 noon.  My wife had just pushed out Kamrin, I was so excited.  Finally I had the son that I longed for, but something was wrong.  He was lifeless it seemed.  No crying, no motion, no breathing, this was momentarily but it seemed like forever.  The nurses rushed him to the incubator to clear out his airway, finally we heard that all too familiar sound.  He cried, his eyes, opened and he looked for the first time.  It was such a relief.  The birth of his sister wasn’t this complicated a year earlier.  She came out, I cut the cord, they gave her to her mom and her mom swiftly gave her to me. I held her with pure love and excitement, so when this happened with Kamrin, I was thrown completely off balance, but thanks to God everything was fine.
Australia
Birth in Australia is given in different ways as opposed to the traditional way here in the U.S., which is mostly given in a hospital. The country of Australia offers Birth Centre and home birth. In the Birth Centre a small team of midwives are involved in all phases of prenatal care, during pregnancy, and postnatal care. The midwives are mostly responsible for delivery, but obstetricians are available if needed.  The Birth Centre is setup like a home to give the birth a more natural feel.  They try to keep the intervention as minimal as possible.  They have bean bags, large double beds, and large baths.  There are about 2.5 percent of Australian births occurring in the Birth Centre.  Australia also does home births, even though only a small percent of births are done in the homes. A professional midwife is in the attendance.  It is usually the same one who will deliver the baby.  She also monitors the mother throughout the pregnancy.
http://www.huggies.com.au/childbirth/giving-birth/choice



4 comments:

  1. Wow Terrance, I know that had to be scary to experience that with your son. I am so glad he turned out ok! Everything you wrote about Australia made a lot of sense. That country has a western hemisphere approach to a lot of things, unlike some third world countries who are in the process of doing things "our" way. Australia jumped one the bandwagon...good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terrance,
    The birth of Kamrin was quite intersting. As I was reading, I was horrified. I couls only imagine how it felt being there and experience such a thing. It was good to read that all was well (glory to God).
    My brother was born 2 months early and I experienced a similar story. However, it was months before he was able to come home.

    I see they are doing something right in Australia. The women much be in good health condition to be able to have midwifes deliver the babies andtend to the mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that both births ended with smiles and relief. Did you and your wife ever consider a midwife? I looked into it but the knowledge that I was in a hospital trumped my desire to be in a home-like environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrance my mom would always tell me when you have a baby it could be life threatening I am glad that your babies made it through I know they are just beautiful. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete